David Fincher is back with another dark and brooding drama, but this time he’s looking at Hollywood history. In his latest film Mank, Fincher and his collaborators depict the writing of Citizen Kane by screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz, the relationships that inspired the story, and the behind the scenes drama. The film stars Gary Oldman, Amanda Seyfried, Charles Dance, Lily Collins and more.
Classic Hollywood genius Rance Collins returns to the podcast (after discussing Citizen Kane back in episode 24) to break down Mank and look at its politics, its history, and the technical decisions that went into its creation. We go pretty deep into film versus digital, and we also talk Oscars 2021.
Read a full episode transcript here.
- Rance’s Oscars podcast The Envelope Please
- Mank on Letterboxd
- Film vs. Digital comparison with Ed Wood on twitter
- Articles & videos about Mank
- YouTube: the controversy behind David Fincher’s MANK
- The Controversy Behind ‘Citizen Kane,’ ‘Mank,’ and Pauline Kael
- Herman Mankiewicz, Pauline Kael, and the Battle Over “Citizen Kane” | The New Yorker
- Pauline Kael’s controversial essay /Raising Kane/
- Gary Oldman On ‘Mank’, Working With Fincher, And Who Really Wrote ‘Citizen Kane’ – Deadline
- The True Story Behind David Fincher’s New Movie Mank | Time
- Mank: David Fincher Pal Steven Soderbergh Helped Flag a Tricky Scene | IndieWire
- Mank: Filming 100 Takes Left Gary Oldman Cursing at David Fincher | IndieWire
- David Fincher: Hollywood Only Likes in Tentpoles with ‘Happy Meal’ | IndieWire
- David Fincher Resented Original Mank Script After Alien 3 Nightmare | IndieWire
- David Fincher Wanted ‘Mank’ to Look Like Old Movie Restoration | IndieWire
- Gary Oldman Worried by David Fincher’s ‘Mank’ Request to Act Natural | IndieWire
CONNECT WITH US
Email us at Andrew@ArthouseGarage.com
Subscribe to the monthly email newsletter: arthousegarage.com/subscribe